Wednesday, March 31, 2010

April Foolishness

I grew up with a jokester for a role model. April 1 was like a national holiday to him.  When I think of my Father, I picture his face cracking into a giant grin as he says, "April Fool's!"

Ahhhhh, memories.  Thanks, Dad.


Ask any of my siblings and they will recount their own version of my Dad's infamous "There's a Pink Elephant in the Backyard" April Fool's Joke.  No elaborate props needed.  No projection imagery.  No sound effects, other than a deep voice rolling with laughter and the squeal of a child protesting the fib.

To this day I have no idea what he really meant by the Pink Elephant ploy.  Other than offering us a glimpse at the fantastical.  What could be more absurd than a Pink Elephant in our backyard?  Nothing.  Really.  And, I promise you, I tried time and time again to top it.

My Dad never set foot on Irish soil, but he certainly inherited more than his fair share of Irish wisecracking ability!  I truly believe that the silliness of this day was a welcome respite from his daily grind as a corporate accountant and father to nine.  Who doesn't need a few Pink Elephants in their life?  Am I right?!

I encourage you to join the Fitzgerald Family this April 1.  We'll all be weaving tales of spotted stegosaurs and dancing whales to whomever will listen (I mean that, we aren't that fussy!).  And, I promise you this, I surely won't be the only one testing out the Pink Elephant in the Backyard exclamation.  I do wonder if some day there will be another generation of Fitzgerald's teasing their children . . . or random neighbors . . . with this one.  I sure hope so.

Happy April Fool's Day, Dad!  Hey, did you happen to notice that spotted orangutan in the window behind you?  Gee whiz, that's crazy!  (tee hee!) April Fool's!  Gotcha . . .

3 comments:

Greg Charles said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Greg Charles said...

It makes me laugh out loud just to think about it!!! And you can be sure my kids are well aware of the Pink Elephant ruse and even try to pull it on me before I get a chance to rub the sleep from my eyes every year! A great tradition made more real for us Fitz's by our Father's relentless if not three stoogish sense of humor! Thanks for the reminder and the thoughts and the photo Mo!!! Greg

Jess said...

My Dad carried this tradition on too! My mom reminds me of it every year....good times :-)

Jess