Thursday, January 7, 2010

Service with a Smile . . . or a Smirk

Where does the concept of being nice to your customers fall in most people's job descriptions?  From the experiences I've had lately, pretty far down.

Here's a simple, yet brilliant, idea for everyone's New Year's Resolution list: Treat your customers with respect and appreciate their presence in your life.  Really.

A couple of weeks before Christmas I was shopping for my son's Christmas program outfit.  He has been growing like crazy the past few months and I realized that he needed a new pair of khaki pants for his Kindergarten debut on stage.  I sauntered in to The Children's Place at RiverTown Mall in Grand Rapids, MI, (no reason not to name names and point fingers!) and looked around at the slim pickings that were available.  I selected a pair of sweat pants and pajamas to purchase and made my way to the cashier. 

She offered me their credit card, which I declined.  Then she requested my e-mail address so that I could be up-to-date on their deals.  I respect this type of offer, heck, I've been in advertising and marketing my entire career, so I get it. 

As I declined again, I decided to share my reason -- I rarely purchase clothes at their store because they offer so little selection for boys.  It seems that if I don't like the "theme" there isn't going to be anything for me to purchase until the new theme is unveiled.  And, I continued, I'm shopping today for my son's Christmas program so the casual tee shirts won't do today.

Instead of thanking me for the input and moving on, the saleswoman informed me, "Well, most of the moms buy their children's Christmas program outfits right after school starts in the fall, so what do you expect to be available now?"

Gulp.

Did she just imply that I'm a lazy mom?

Help me understand how this behavior will ever encourage me to shop at her store again?

Trust me.  I won't.  Ever. Shop there again.

Come on kids, customer service applies to everyone.  Not just people with those words in their title.  Get over yourselves and treat people with respect.  I promise it will pay off.  This is Advertising, Public Relations, Marketing, and Common Sense 101. 

Happy New Year, I say with a big smile as I also note how grateful I am to have your business (aka eyes reading my blog!) today.  Come again, y'all!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

This made me smile, with a nervous twitch though. I must be on my best behavior the next time I see you, so I too, don't end up in one of your blog posts! :) (That was a reallly big smile in case there are any inquiries!) And, I won't even ask for your email address.

veronica said...

I think I know that woman...she is quite loud and annoys many a customer...wish we could share our comments with someone who could do something about it. I know another family that had a run in with a women who works there b/c she kept going on about Santa and the little 6 year old finally looked at her and told her the real reason for the season and that SC was dead....it shut her right up!