Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Top Ten Thankful Thoughts of 2009

I don't know about you, but my basket of bounty is overflowing with gratitude this week.  I'm practically oozing with it.

So, it's time to spill.  Here are a few (okay, my Top Ten) of the many, many, many things for which I am thankful in 2009!

1)  My boys.  Not everyone has a fan club like I do.  Rick and Connor are the center of my universe.  And, they are handsome to boot!  I'm a lucky girl!


2)  Hershey's Dark Chocolate Kisses.  Really, who doesn't love them?  Little bits of Heaven wrapped in foil.  Delicious!  When necessary, they serve as a temptation stopper for me as I forage for a mid-afternoon snack.  They also are handy as a coercion method for luring a dawdling Kindergartener out the door in the morning (yes, I give my child little chocolate kisses on the way to school, better than screaming at him the entire way!).

3)  The Hens.  Everyone needs someone to gossip with over celebrity snafus and the mundane activities of life.  Rick refers to my gaggle of gals as "The Hens."  He means that in an affectionate way, I promise.  We stay connected by e-mail now that we don't see each other every day -- and we still make each other laugh after all these years.  Ladies of a feather stick together (corny, but I'm laughing as I type . . . ).  Thanks for the memories -- and the constant banter -- Amy, Deanna, and Susan!


4)  Kendall-Jackson Chardonnay.  Ahhhhh.  Everyone needs a go-to wine.  This is mine.  You can share, just get your own bottle.  I'll drink anything.  Well, everything.  But, for a tasty end-of-day libation, this one makes me smile every time!  Cheers!

5)  Sisters.  And, brothers.  I've got lots of them and I wouldn't want it any other way.  We've been through a lot.  Some of it sucks.  Some of it sparkles with joy.  We don't always agree -- in fact most of the time you will find at least one disparate opinion in the bunch -- but we always listen with interest.  Then, we talk louder than whomever we disagree with and make our own point.  Family.  You've got to love them . . . no, really, you HAVE to love them . . . mom said so!





6)  100 calorie snack packages of virtually anything.  I hate counting out the proper serving size of tasty treats like shortbread cookies or Cheez-its.  These are dummy-proof.  Well, except for my propensity to eat several at a time.  Hmmm, maybe that's why I haven't lost weight!

7)  Facebook.  Stop laughing.  I love it.  I'm just a little addicted.  It's so voyeuristic, yet narcissistic.  Big words.  But, really, who doesn't want to know what all of their high school chums are having for dinner every night?  Mixed in with the mundane are loads of fun tidbits about the lives of people you know.  Joy!  Wanna be friends?

8)  Book Club.  Assigned reading always gets my competitive juices running.  Sure, there isn't a grade (anymore), but I don't want to be the only one without something interesting to say about the book of the month!  Plus, we gab about real life too.  With food.  And, wine.  Or beer.  Really, what's not to love?  This year our reading selections ranged from "Twilight" to "Catcher in the Rye" to "Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea" to "A Thousand Splendid Suns."  Something for everyone and lots of books I never would have read.  Big thanks, ladies, for another amazing year!

9)  An incredible Kindergarten teacher.  Not for me, goofball!  As the overprotective and insanely involved parent of an only child, the transition to kindergarten loomed larger than life in my eyes.  After all, nobody would truly appreciate how brilliant my one and only child is!  Enter the fabulous Mrs. Kurlenda.  Connor digs her.  She teaches and inspires.  And, she knows how to wrangle parents like me.  Brava -- if only every child could experience Kindergarten the way we are -- the world would be a better, smarter place!


10)  Blogging.  I'm thankful for this wonderful way to hone my writing skills and share my deepest thoughts.  Okay, the thoughts aren't really that deep.  Or prolific.  Sometimes they don't really make sense.  But, gosh darn it, I like writing and this is fun!  We should all find our own true joy and grab hold of it with both hands.  I have.  And, for that I'm thankful.  Every writer needs a reader, so thanks for lending me your eyes.

So, what are you thankful for this year?  Post a comment here and share your thoughts.  I'd love to know.

Cheers!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maureen - I love reading your blog. I think I may have taken that Vegas photo :)

Lisa

Kat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kat said...

So many things to be thankful for this year, many of which you mentioned. I am thankful that we have become such good friends-I can't imagine life without the laughs you give me and your laughter itself! As it is said, they broke the mold with you!

tony beachler said...

You amaze me with your blogness. How do you like how I am honing my skills?! Great blog...jealous! See, this is what I mean. Great job 9 stars out of 10!

Rob Geer said...

This is awesome! Happy Thanksgiving!

Nicole said...

I know I'm just shy of being a month too late...but this is my favorite post of yours! :) Loved it! Merry Christmas! And, thanks for being such a joy as a client!