Thursday, September 3, 2009

One More Turn Around the Sun!

Happens every year.  Same date.  I age.  I complete yet another revolution around that big orange ball in the sky.

This anniversary of my birth encourages a number of responses.  Mostly mirth that I've held on for another rotation!  But, also a sense of wonder regarding my splendid life.

There are so many people to thank for the fact that later today I'll be sitting outside on a patio overlooking the channel that leads to my beloved Lake Michigan and enjoying a delightful glass of wine!  Who knew that it would really take that whole darn village to raise me up and transform me into the person I am today?
But, let's be honest, the village was always involved in my life at the discretion of two people.  Specifically, John and Jackie Fitzgerald.  My parents had the courage to create a family of nine independent-thinking individuals.  And, to revel in the way that each of us grew into ourselves, warts and all.  With me they understood my emotional side (whether the bouncy baby or the tearful teen) as well as my need to organize and streamline everything around me.  According to my dad, at only a day old I orchestrated the entire nursery at Big Rapids Hospital to cry on my command in order to garner more attention!
On this birthday, I intend to swallow a deep gulp of lake-infused air, sip on my chardonnay, and channel Jackie.  I share her physicality (heck, just look at that photo, which person is me?!).  But, I miss her wit, her charm, her ability to warm everyone in the room to her idea, as well as her innate sense of when it was time to frost someone out for their lack of manners.  She was truly one-of-a-kind.  Its days like today when I miss her most (and, for the record, its not that I don't miss my Dad, but he is not my birthday memory maker!).
The early morning just wasn't the same today without her phone call and out-of-tune singing of "Happy Birthday" to me.  Midday was sullen without her perfectly timed Hallmark card (my Dad seemed to think these were the best and always made fun when we gave him anything else!) waiting in the mailbox.  And, this evening, while lovely, will be missing the phone call that I would have placed to fill her in on details of my special day.  Even if it was only filled with work and commonplace events like laundry.
But, the day is not without a gift.  Forty-two years ago Jackie Fitzgerald gave me life.  And, for the following 39 years she reaffirmed that gift over and over with her commitment to me and my siblings.  Pretty amazing.
Thanks, Mom!  And, tonight, when the sun sets on this fantastic day and I start working on circling that gorgeous sun again, I'll raise my glass to her.  Happy Birthday to me!

3 comments:

Greg Charles said...

Some black horn rimmed glasses would really suit you Mo!!!!

Sorry Mom ... oooppsss ... no way out of this one! just hit "close" instead of "publish" and I'm in the clear.

Can you imagine the cards we would've gotten if Grandma had access to the talking cards when she was always sending them? Mom learned from the best ... I think Dad used to give her complete credit for a family of 9 "only" children, our birthdays were always special, cause that's what she thought they should be, for each of us, every time. Like we were the first and last person to ever reach that special age on that special day!

I hope you had a great one! Mom would've wanted that for sure! .. :-)!

Pat said...

While a little late in the evening, I serenaded the youthful birthday girl with a classic version of the "Happy Birthday" song. By classic, I mean untuned and untrained, as it were!

Hopefully, you have recovered?!

Nicole said...

Happy Belated Birthday Maureen!

A lovely blog, indeed! Nice work!

Blog tip #1: sitemeter.com It will help you keep track of your traffic!

Once you do get a chance to check out my blog, be sure to start at the beginning. And in case you wonder, I never mentioned my story to clients because I didn't want them to feel uncomfortable. It doesn't bother me to discuss it's subject content. And, I'll leave it at that. Oh, and please do forgive any grammatical or spelling errors you find while reading! :)