Friday, November 23, 2012

Celebrating Connections: Far Flung Family

There I was, standing at the door leading into a room where a crowd had already gathered. The celebration was in full gear with balloons edging the buffet table and cake on display to tempt the littlest guests to reach out and sample. People were chatting, slapping each other on the back, and leaning in for hugs with whispered greetings.

I was at my aunt's 75th birthday party. But, who the heck were all these people?

Let's be honest. If you come from a family of more than a handful of relatives, by the time everyone grows up  you tend to lose track of their every day life. Right? I'm not alone here, am I?

In the case of my mother's family, it is easy to get lost in the crowd and wonder if you've ended up at WalMart on Black Friday, swimming through a crowd of faces with only a few that leap out as familiar. It's all a matter of mathematics. In the family of GV and Nina Welch:
  • My mom was one of 7 children
  • I am one of 35 grandchildren (granted 9 of those are from my immediate family!)
  • Connor is one of 58 great grandchildren
  • There are 38 great-great grandchildren (with another on the way)
Whew! How could I possibly keep track of so many people?!

But, unlike sauntering into a corporate networking event or Hollywood post-party for the Oscar's, in this setting all I had to do was pick a person out of the crowd and dive in. "Hi, I'm Maureen, Jackie's daughter. Help me remember where you fit in the family tree..."

Yep, in this magical place once we got past the awkward horror of not recognizing a second cousin from four states away who had emerged from those gawky teen years when you actually grow into your teeth, we were hugging and swapping stories like...well, like family!

In some cases, we aren't just family, we are kindred spirits whose laughter sounds eerily similar or whose eye color matches through some sort of imperceptible genetic cloning. With many we are friends. We share a common history as well as common interests outside of family festivities. That's when it becomes fun to have a huge family sprawling out from roots that run deep. Who knew that you might actually enjoy these people that fate and heredity banded you to?

Since it's the time of year for giving thanks and really meaning it, I feel compelled to share how grateful I am for this big, bawdy family of mine. Many are still mysteries, but over time I hope to learn more about their stories and how they intertwine with my own. That, my friends, is the power of family...you don't really feel their awesome strength until you most need the support. Or, the hug. Or, the slap on the back. Or, in the case of that one cousin, whom shall remain nameless, the tap on the shoulder from behind that you didn't see coming (let's be honest, boys will be boys, even when they are old enough to know better!).

Raise a glass, people. Here's to that goofy bunch of people in the other room. They are my family. And, I sure do love them. Cheers (for my English relatives)! Slainte (for my Irish relatives)!

Note: Here are a few snapshots from Aunt Kathie's 75th birthday party...with family arriving from near and far!

The Welch siblings and spouses -- my aunts and uncles
Aunt Kathie being swarmed by the three youngest cousins in the Fitzgerald Family -- Connor, Ryleigh, and Reagan

Duane McDonald with his beautiful family, Jamie, Crystal, and first grandchild

Aunt Pat with Tricia, Mikayla, and Skylar

Aunt Judy with son Kevin Welch

Cousin Richard McDonald, showing his softer side holding those balloons for the kids

Cousin Sandy's youngest two children, Jahan and Shannon, opening the scrapbook of poems and letters their mom wrote to cousin Laura Sharp before her death when the kids were very young.
Cousins Laura, Shannon, and Jahan
Cousin Nickey with her husband, Jimmy, and one of her darling sons

No comments: