Friday, November 5, 2010

The Mystery of Knotted Memories

So often our memories intertwine in a jumbled pile of emotion, smell, taste, visuals, and often music. Its rare for me to think about one singular moment and hold it with clarity, keeping it from becoming tainted by another memory or shooting off on a wild tangent that bounces my thoughts about like a pinball responding to an itchy trigger finger on the lever.

That's why the end of October and beginning of November are always a bit schizophrenic for me. The smell of wet leaves and rotting pumpkins mixed with burning wax always triggers a flashback to the phone call I took seven years ago while tricksters and treaters were haunting my street. My brother, Steve, called to share that his wife Kris was hovering near death. Waiting for a donor liver that met her needs. Today I can't put all of the pieces together perfectly, but I still can smell that crazy jack-o-lantern.

Kris needed a miracle. Steve needed to talk. We had to process the fact that someone who hadn't celebrated 40 years of life would be facing something so immense without a warning. It still hurts to remember his anguished voice, begging for a solution that seemed unreal and that I couldn't provide.

Coupled with that memory is a moment of such euphoria and joy that is seems irreverant to think about it while also remembering Kris' failing health.

Rick and I had just learned that we were going to become parents. We'd received a photo that morning via Fed Ex (only really, really important stuff comes to your home via Fed Ex, that's how we knew it was a big deal!) of a little boy, just over one month old, who still weighed only 5 pounds. He was going to be our son. How could bad things be happening when our most fervent prayer was finally answered?


I remember crying on the phone with my brother that night. Tears of joy, tears of frustration, tears that reminded us both how powerfully we cared for each other and those for whom we cried.

My moment of triumph and ultimate happiness always will be edged with the reality that when you love deeply, you risk loosing greatly.

Those memories are intimately connected to someone I've never met. I don't know that person's story -- someone whose family faced their own loss with incredible bravery. My sister-in-law's life was saved by a liver donor.


These memories are a great example of the emotional journey known as the circle of life, in my case its just all twisted up like a crazy sewing knot. If I could pull apart the threads of each memory and save them as unique thoughts, would I?

Would I treasure the joy of raising my son more if my memory of learning that he was waiting for us weren't tempered with the anguish I recall hearing in my brother's voice on the phone that night? Would I be any more grateful for the blessing of Kris' life if I could smile over it and close out the pain her donor family must continue to experience each year on the anniversary that we celebrate?


Nope. I like things messy. I'll take the jumble any day. The more knots the better...gives me more places to grab on and swing.

PS -- Spare a moment today and give a thought to becoming a registered organ and tissue donor. Details here: http://www.donatelife.net/CommitToDonation/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are awesome Maureen--you should write a book. This post made me smile and brought tears to my eyes --all in the same minute. Thanks for sharing. I SO feel your death and life (especially during this time of the year when I was pregnant for my little Sylvia and had my husband pass away) you really say it well. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Angie

Greg Charles said...

Well written Mo. Very emotional time. You did a terrific job of capturing in words a feeling many of us have encountered in our lives, a number of times. Thanks for sharing. Next time warn me a little bit that I'm gonna tear up ... not fair! :-)!
See you soon lil' sister,
Greg

Jess said...

It is funny that you wrote this on friday...that night I had some bad flashbacks and it freaked me out and I went to see my mom...and she was writing to you about this! It is weird how we can all be thinking about similar things when we are all apart.
Love you Aunt Mo

Mary Kent said...

Wonderfully written Mo! So many brave people in the world:) Just goes to show that life isn't easy and we really have to put our faith in god to work out all the details!